Austrian Steyr Model 1895 8x50mmR carbine (3702J)
Availability: Out of stock
This carbine, made in the Budapest arsenal in 1918, in its original calibre of 8mm x 50R would be correctly identified as Carbine Model 1895 with Stutzen lug. It is the cavalry carbine, but made with the bayonet lug on the front band.
The sling swivel at the stock wrist has been removed, and the swivel on the side of the middle band looks to be removed as well, putting the swivels only under the carbine.
One very interesting observation is that the stock has been made with the capability of being fitted with a folding bayonet
The Carbine is original 1918 production with the stock, barrel and receiver having matching numbers. The stock number has not been changed. There is a capital "R" stamped into the right hand side of the stock. There is no number on the bolt. The blueing is worn and the barrel is very good but shows some pitting
Developed by Austrian arms designer Ferdinand Ritter Von Mannlicher, the M95 rifle utilised a straight-pull bolt action based upon Mannlicher's revolutionary Model 1890 design. This rifle was manufactured in the Austro-Hungarian Empire at state arms factories in Steyr (Austria) and Budapest (Hungary). Originally produced in 8x50mmR, in 1924 some M95 rifles were converted to 7.92x57mm. These converted rifles had a shorter (58cm) barrel, and were designated M95/24. They were used in Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. In 1930 Austria converted most of their M95 rifles to 8x56mmR M30 ammunition. These rifles were designated M95/30, and marked with the letter "S" on the barrel. Hungary started to convert their rifles to the same 8x56mmR ammunition in 1931, and these rifles were marked with the letter "H" on the barrel. Many of the M95 rifles were used during the Second World War by the Hungarian, Bulgarian and Italian armies, as well as by some German police forces.